Sunday, October 21, 2012

Welcome Author Rebekah Roberts

Welcome Welcome Welcome!!! Please tell us a little about Petals.
“Beauty might just be the beast.”’

Calla Williams is not like other girls.  Most girls spend their whole lives trying to be beautiful, Calla already is…and she hates it.

When she is shipped off one summer to live with family friends in their dilapidated Mississippi plantation, Calla is faced with the prospect of living with strangers and their teenage son.  This is annoying because, like any other boy, he is sure to fall in love with her on sight. However, Griffin Davenport is not your typical teenage guy. With his hot temper and half of his face severely scarred, “hate at first sight” is closer to what she finds.

Though the two teens try to stay out of each other’s way, an odd attraction to each other makes staying away anything but easy.

Now, Calla must deal with growing feelings, her own prejudices, and finding the secret to Griffin’s past. As hate turns to friendship and friendship becomes something more, Calla learns a startling truth: God uses even how we look in His plan for our lives.
 
What genre(s) do you write?
Christian Teen Romance, but every now and then I have to take a break and write a little horror. 
What genres and authors would we find you reading? 
I love romance, Meg Cabot, Stephanie Meyer, Gail Carson Levine. I’ve always had a thing for classic as well, Jane Austen, Daphne du Maurier.
What was the hardest part of writing your book? 
Getting up the courage to send it out to a publisher.  Writing it was pretty easy, editing it was harder but still fun, but after it was finished it sat in my computer collecting digital dust for over a year.  Finally a very wise woman asked me, why not?  I’m so glad I listened to her and sent it out into the world. 
Are you a plotter or a pantser?
A little of both.  I hate to have everything plotted out and I never plot on paper, but I can’t get things done if I don’t have at least most of the major scenes figured out in my head.  So, I guess I am a plottser?
Why do you think people should choose your books over another author?
Because even though fairy-tales are big and there are a lot of choices out there right now, my stories are different because they deal with real life.  They don’t have magic so in the end my characters have to deal with the messes that they have made without a magical spell to set them free.  I’d like to think this is a fresher take on the old tales.
What do you hope readers take with them after reading one of your stories? 
 That there is hope and love in the world.  And that they might feel a better sense of the fact that there is a purpose for their lives.  That’s what I want my characters to learn, so that’s what I am hoping to show the reader through my characters.
Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?
That everything has beauty in it and that God uses that beauty to do great things.  I want every girl, (or guy) that reads my book to feel like they too are beautiful and that they are important.
 
Has your life changed significantly since becoming a published writer? 
I think my writing finally has some weight behind it.  When you have spent years just typing on a laptop pr scribbling in a notebook and claim to be a writer no one really takes you seriously, but after you are published suddenly they are asking you to edit things for them.  It’s funny how that works.  In a lot of ways I feel like I just graduated. 
Do you work on one project at a time? Or do you multi-task? 
I can’t multi-task well.  I try to keep up blogs and facebook, maybe a short story, while writing a novel, but I can’t get my brain around more than one novel at a time.  I get distracted too easily, and that is how projects go unfinished.  
When not writing, how do you relax?
 I love to go to the movies.  I try to see anything that even looks halfway good.  When I was a little girl, my dad and I would watch a movie at home every night and we would go out to the theater at least once a week.  I still love to watch a good movie, but I am much more apt to fall asleep these days. 
 
How can our readers find you?
Website: RebekahRoberts.net
Twitter: @RebekahFRoberts
Facebook: facebook.com/RebekahRobertsWriter
 
Where can they find your book?
Amazon, B&N, Itunes, and www.5princebooks.com/buy.htm
 
WONDERFUL! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR STOPPING BY TODAY!
 


1 comment: